Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Puppy update!

     Well the puppies are now 7 weeks old. I am having a hard time getting any pictures up since Liz is not here. This is a little harder than I thought it would be, but I am going to tap the resources of my sister and friends this week.
     This is the age where all the fun begins. The puppies now have supervised run of part of the house for play time. They are investigating everything and getting into trouble every other minute! Try walking across the room with no less than 7 puppies somehow attached to one pant leg...ouch! Every once in a while one of them actually tries to grab my leg!
    Some of the puppies are more "electric" than others...those are the ones that absolutely won't hold still and instead of being wiggle butts they are wiggle bodies. Beemer is the most electric puppy I have ever seen...I swear his whole body vibrates with the wiggles as he greets me. Since he is also the smallest, I told Liz I think he would make a great bumble bee for Halloween! Since he is available, maybe I will suggest it to whom ever his new owners will be :-).
    The puppies had their first session with a tug (not counting my pants) and after that I saw all of them tugging on a latex donut toy! It's pretty hard to go anywhere when they are all in a circle pulling backwards...it was too funny!
    I am defiantly starting to see little personalities and I am also falling in love with a puppy I shouldn't..of course.
    Puppies are eating really good and I have added a little cottage cheese and canned food into their yogurt, kibble and Ester-C. They had decided it would be more fun to play with me, than eat...so I decided to make their food irresistible! This is exactly the temperament of Phoenix's other litters...wanting to be with people more than anything...well, what should we expect from a mom who tries to kiss everyone she meets? I remember the first time we took Phoenix to a really big AKC show with about 2,000 entries....she tried to jump on every person we passed! She made dozens of new friends...it was like she thought they were all there for her! I am sure she was thinking "It's this grand!"
    Speaking of Phoenix, she is being a good mom and slowly weaning them herself. She spends several hours a day playing and teaching them. Occasionally, I hear her give a stern reprimand, but I know it is part of the learning process and she will only give them what they need.
    I am just starting to see a little gaiting ...mostly they are still in the hopping stage, but I know that will quickly change over the next week. This Saturday, the 25th, the puppies will be going to Joshica's Planet Canine http://planet-canine.com/ for temperament testing. Pam will be doing the testing at 11am and anyone is welcome to come and watch. Puppies usually get a good play session at the end so it's fun for them and us humans too!
until next week,
janine
 

No comments:

Post a Comment