Monday, April 16, 2012

3 weeks old and can you say Attitude?

           This has been the first busy week in the life of the pups. The past three weeks have consisted of picking up, petting, snuggling and kisses from humans...milk, baths warmth and lots of love from Momma Kwill.

       The first new adventure was introduction to food! Puppy "gruel", or what ever you want to call the soft warm puppy food that can be lapped up easily. We add all Natural Yogurt for the probiotics. (All our dogs love yogurt! They think it is the best thing kept in the fridge.) I always serve the early meals on plates as the puppies are still looking for something to suck on. They usually spend the first couple feedings with their mouths on the rims of the plates. I move the food close to the rim and they quickly learn it's easier to eat it on the plate. First puppy to eat...Zoom, but he did spend a lot of time at the rim. Dip was the second. No one would have any doubt if I told you Twist went to the plate after a few minutes all on her own and started eating! She was also first to try body surfing the food! After about the 3rd meal all puppies had taken a stroll onto the plate. They make quite a mess but Kwill is a super cleaner! Not a trace of puppy food mess is left after she is done!


        Puppies had their nails done this week. I was right thinking they were going to be super movers! Liz had to hold them while I did the clipping. I also tested them for touch sensitivity on their paws. They seemed to be pretty tolerant of any thing being done to their feet. No one really objected about the nail clipping and most were cooperative.
It's amazing how cooperative they become when all 4 feet are off the ground! Puppy worming also went well. We use Nemex 2 for puppies and mom. They are all gaining weight, with Twist and Dash being the   "chunky monkeys" this week!  



                                                                               This week puppies no longer wobble, but actually walk and are starting to climb on anything and everything...what's that in the way?...up and over...never around. They are also begining to play with each other. Today Snap and Flip were having a great time biting each other on the mouths, heads and then Snap started to paw at Flip! It is so cute...where is a camera when you need one?? Oh, I see I get the camera and come back and you are all ready for a nap!


    



Attitude?? Are you taking to me??? (Dash)
                Now that all the health basics are covered I want to address the "attitude" in this litter. It is    common knowledge in the dog kingdom that Ms Kwill thinks she is all that! I am not sure if it is genetic or she is teaching them, but these puppies are starting to show us, they think "they are all that and more"! They are very vocal about letting us know if they approve or not or if they want attention. They are also starting to come to the front of the puppy box to get petted. When I call "puppy, puppy" in that high pitched sing song voice Liz uses, they all wake right up, heads go up and they start getting up and walking to me. I  am not sure, but I am begining to suspect that Liz is training them when I am at work or sleeping. I have a sneaking suspicion that I will soon be seeing "little fronts" and free stacking!
    Liz and I think this litter may have more attitude than any other litter we have had...
    



           I am not going to credit Kwill for all the attitude as Remy certainly has some too, but his is more easy going and playful. He has a great sense of humor and can turn anything, including his water bucket into a toy! He is also one of those "bouncing aussies" even at 9!



Next week we are going to the ASC of MI Spring Fling! So in between bathing dogs and caring for all, we will try to get individual pictures again. They will be 4 weeks old and should be a handful to photograph! I need to pick up a new lithium rechargable battery and a larger memory card for my camera. I can't seem to remember the 'safe place, so I wouldn't loose it' that I put the larger memory card and spare battery! It sure wasn't the logical place such as the camera bag!
   

      If you have any interest in a puppy please contact myself or Liz as we will have a few puppies available.  janine    http://arcoirisaustralianshepherds.com/

2 comments: